Friday 19 February 2010

1397 A Saturday at Cricket

It has been as good Saturday, not brilliant but a good day. I worked all morning, then went to cricket taking my lunch to eat mid afternoon. I left the match before the end of play to shop, returned for evening meal, watched an awful film, listen and partly watched a U2 video, could not find mobile phone, found mobile phone, searched for Film Theatre membership, found membership card, felt sad but understood why.

I awoke at a reasonable hour after a mixture of waking dreams which I understood quickly shaking off the feelings they engendered.

I wanted to continue about national and local politics knowing it was a work which I might not send to those who it could influence because of the implications of doing so. I knew from previous experience hoping that someone else might also say what needed to be said was not good enough. I did not want to take on the responsibility involved in submission but I needed to complete the writing and then decide. It is the kind of writing which involves prolonged concentration and then a break and a fresh look and repeat the process until satisfied.

The sun broke through the mist and then the clouds and I decided to go to the second day of the match where Durham was playing Hampshire. There was a better crowd that anticipated given the number of cars parked. The game was being played on the last pitch, furtherest away from the Pavilion although some members were content to watch from the seats at this part of the ground. I made my way to a point on the southern part of the ground behind the wicket after finding the northern area closed. It was a good seat four rows up three seats away from the sightscreen area and in the sun. Durham were all out at the point of arrival some 37 runs short of the Hampshire first innings, a disappointment with more to come. The Hampshire opening pair played and missed a bit, were close to giving catching opportunities but gaining confidence commenced to build a dangerous opening total of over 90 runs which to which was added those gained on the first innings.

Then when it looked that Hampshire were about to achieve an invincible position, the younger Harmison threw the ball from just inside the boundary towards the wicket at the bowler's end and it was a direct hit. One could spend a lifetime trying to do this and not be successful. I thought, as did those around me that the batsman had managed to complete his run but the umpire ruled he had not and Durham had their first wicket. The second quickly followed and then something extraordinary happened. Steve Harmison who had been toiling away with success seemed to get quicker and more accurate and within a blink of an eye he had sent four batsman back to the Pavilion and the game swung again in Durham's favour.

The sun was bright and hot, burning through the cloth of my trousers so I had put my Jacket over the knee. I had been liberal with the sun block to my face and neck. I enjoyed three salami and lettuce sandwich halves around 3pm, having had two rounds of toast and coffee around 11 am, such was the drive to write. There had been no music although I checked the test score where there was no play before lunch and also what was happening at Durham on the text. Otherwise it was work and work on.

On arrival I bought a ticket for the semi final game against Kent which saved £6 if I had been a non member and bought in advance or £9 if bought on the day. One other person was buying a ticket before me and we were invited into reception for the purchase. He had been to Lords last year for the trophy winning final The previous and only other time he had visited Lords he had cycled from Durham to London, staying with a friend at Thornton Heath which is not far from Croydon and Wallington. It had been over fifty years ago. We had both been in our teens and I still had my cerise bicycle. He had seen Denis Compton play for Middlesex and Len Hutton for Yorkshire. I told him I had a copy of Len's autobiography which he had signed at the Army and Navy Stores. It was a good chat for a few minutes sharing experiences which only other cricket fans would be interested. We went our separate ways to out favoured parts of the ground, perhaps we would never see each other again.

The sun went in around tea time when I had the fourth half sandwich and some more of the coffee which had kept hot. Later towards six I appreciated being able to wear the jacket. The sun returned as I left, It was a brilliant June evening but I was proved good in judgment at leaving because the two at the wicket continued until the day ending. The match was evenly poised. A continued stand in the morning could see Durham facing a difficult total given their first innings performance. It was unlikely that the match would go into its fourth day.

I shopped at Lidl buy two packs of frozen bream which had been reduced by over £1 thus making them an even better buy than previously. I also bought more of the tins of prepared salmon with different sauces and dressings, tomato and parsley one I remember also one with a Lemon dressing. I bought a prepared 500 gram pork roast with a mixed pepper topping, some frozen prawns and a loaf of brown bread. There were only quarts of semi skimmed milk. I also liked the look of some packs of Chinese and Southern Fried starters. The total was expensive but I did not feel guilty given the plight of others. I heard on the news that In Zimbabwe aid charities ahd been banned which suggested the government did not want them to witness the intimidation of those in the country or bribing by only giving them food if they voted for the President.

I had defrosted some southern friend chicken for the evening meal which I eat with baked beans followed by strawberries and ice cream and coffee. Later before bedtime when I revived a little I eat grapes and drank ice cold water.

I returned home in time to watch the second episode of the Dr Who, the Library. Last week I commented that this was not a programme suitable for children because it was scary and had very unhappy moments. The second part carried on from before but with excellent acting and a clever story, ended very well. I was impressed by the performance of Catherine Tate but even with the happy ending this was more a programme for adults than children.

I will mention the DVD film Carlito's Way. It is a glamorised and romanticised tale about an Italian, a Black and a Puerto Rican murdering drug traffickers carving out a business having met in prison and bribed guards who achieve a comfortable living, wining and dining and running their business, finding themselves women willing to fit into their lifestyle and then getting away with it with the Puerto Rican and the Black living in Paradise West Indies. I am not being racist by the way as this is the point of the film showing that people who rule the ghetto racial groups could get on with each other albeit in murderous criminal enterprises under the eye of corrupt cops. It is a nasty film.

To make up for this experience I decided to watch a sixteen track U2 Videos from 1900 to 2000. I only knew three of the tracks well. It's a beautiful day. One, one life one love where the documentary covered the three versions of the video. The Third song and second video was Sarajevo which included the visit of U2 to the city. None of the other tracks appealed.

Ever since I could not find the membership card for the Film Theatre I have searched and searched so tonight, after dark I decided to through the environmental box even more thoroughly and sure enough it was there inside the original.

I celebrated by staying up and watching a Billy Bob Thornton movie. It was a curious film. More on than tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment