Tuesday 19 October 2010

End of seasons at the Riverside

I enjoyed Sunday despite the seething turmoil below the relaxed exterior. I had risen early and reviewed the Sunday papers on line and watched the news on Sky and the BBC and then listened attentively to the Sunday Supplement. I prepared a lunch of lamb shank with gravy, carrots and peas and settled down to watch Sky News Sport News at 1pm when the programme announced that it was the last day of the Pro 40 Cricket League Competition and announced the scorecard at Durham Riverside.

I had previously checked that the last home Championship game commenced on Wednesday and overlooked this important final game where just about everyone had a chance of winning the nine team league or faced relegation to the second division. The weather looked good so I abandoned everything I had thought of doing including watching the Italian Grand Prix and set off without packing any food or drink.

Fortunately I was able to get the last car parking space in my preferred area and arrived to take a seat behind the wicket as the sixth wicket fell of the Gloucestershire innings with the score at only 81. Gloucestershire had lost their first wicket at no runs but had then established a good but slow start with 63 runs from a partnership between Ali and Porterfield before a collapse with had seen five wickets fall for 18 runs. There was a short recovery as I settled in my seat in hazy sunshine and had a little heavy eyed siesta after the good food and hasty journey before the last four wickets fell for 19 runs. I had left my haversack in the car and fancying a cup of tea I made my way around the ground to the Member's lounge watching the last two overs as I went in time to get into the queue before the main rush.

I had to wait until later to establish the details of all the bowling although I had heard that Steve Harmison had completed his eight overs for 32 runs and three wickets and saw Breeze take his three wickets for eight runs and followed this with 20 important runs secure the winner by five wickets after Durham themselves had mini collapse losing four wickets for three runs early on. De Venuto appears to have hit form at he right time scored unbeaten 52 and captain Benkenstein an important 25 at a crucial time. There was also a good crowd and Durham finished third in the table which is not bad after gaining promotion last year and shows the strides the team has taken over the past two seasons. Sussex had an amazing win scoring 52 in the last five overs and with only two wickets left, including a six off the last ball.

The rest of the day was taken up with the situation at Newcastle United. I had an evening meal of soup and a bacon sandwich and must have drunk a whole pint of orange juice as well as cups of tea consequently. It was midnight when I went to bed and the news that Ashley and told Alan Shearer that he was no longer required as club Ambassador had not broken, The man has now alienated himself from the football nation as well as Geordieland.

No comments:

Post a Comment