Saturday 4 July 2009

1753 A sporting day of two halves

The first Friday of July 2009 proved a day of two distinct and contrasting halves. I was not surprised to find that the sea fret ground level cloud had returned over the hill as I rose to greet another day. The greater concern was the forecast of heavy and persistent rain which could ruin the opportunity of Durham County Cricket club winning their fourth championship game in a row and with the prospects of Nottingham drawing, to open sufficient of a gap to make their game in hand less of a problem.

I was therefore pleasantly surprised to find on arrival at the ground that the sun was bright and warm and the sky cloudless as I parked the car around 10.15 and enjoyed an early salami roll and cup of coffee before making my way to an end aisle seat backing the media suite and within easy reach of the stairs to lower deck of the corner stand should protection from the sun or rain become necessary. I engaged in conversation the two other members one in the same row and the other at the front. I optimistically forecast we would get the runs by 12.30 forgetting that 120 were needed rather than 90. What a forecast this turned out to be in the circumstances.

It was evident that the Durham batsmen and Worcestershire fielders were only too well aware of the weather forecast as the Durham set about the task with positive aggression and risk. This included Michael De Venuto who with a 143 to his name this season went on to complete his fiftieth first class 100 scoring precisely that. He achieved this with a single that tied the scores and the winning run was scored by Mustard with five wickets to spare. On another day the win would have been by more wickets but with rain pending the team result took precedence.

It was a brilliant innings and a brilliant win. I made my way to the car and into Chester Le Street Town centre as the first proper drops of rain commenced to fall. I took a different route from the roundabout heading towards the station and then taking the road which led directly tot he large car park near Wilkinsons and the new Morrison’s in the making. It was just a quick nip through the small shopping precinct to the High street where I tried a cherry at the nearby greengrocers, but it was not a patch on those brought form the other side of he road a little way up the hill. I was no disappointed as they had a further supply of the same large and sweet cherries. I bought close one four pounds worth in money as well as weight.

It commenced to rain more heavily as I returned to vehicle and made for home. I detour became necessary as a road sign indicated that the branch into Newcastle was closed and all three lanes were full of traffic competing with this and the road works. On the d radio I heard there had been a major accident and the air ambulance was on its way. I headed off the motorway into Washington and Sunderland to Morrison’s for a petrol refill. The firm has introduced two of the new pay at the pump stations, but although intending to have a go I was put out when I could not find my credit card. I had taken the light brown jacket with me and though I had checked this thoroughly. On return home I checked everything and everywhere and it was only making a second check before ringing the company to cancel that I found the card where it should have been, in the brown jacket.

I had eaten all three rolls, two with salami and coleslaw during the nervous excitement of the morning and made an early afternoon salad while watching Roger Federer demolish his opponents in three straight sets. It was then time for the first appearance of Andrew Murray in a Wimbledon Semi Final. His opponent Roddick was not going to make the same mistakes in previous contests between the two and the guidance from his new coach had great effect coupled with his extraordinary ability to his great first serves, converting many into aces. Murray had no answer at first but then successfully put all his effort into breaking the service in the opening game of the second set which he managed to hold to square the contest one set each. However the effort appeared to drain him and he was quickly broken against so that Roddick was 5.2 up and serving for the set, which he lost and Murray, with the help a crowd in frenzy took the game to the set tie break and then missed an easy chance to go one point up with his two serves to follow. He failed and lost the set and after that there was an inevitability about what then happened. He has the ability and mental strength together with youth to fight for another day but he is unlikely to have had such a great chance of reaching the final although Federer was awesome.

The defeat was unsettling and I could not concentrate on anything further flipping channels, playing games against the computer. I went to bed early for the third night in succession

No comments:

Post a Comment