Sunday 26 July 2009

1768 It was not about the cricket

It quickly became a challenging day after a brilliant start. I was awake, packed, feeling good and all well before seven. It was warm but cloudy although the atmosphere suggested sunshine was on the way. I stopped with my case on a deserted road apart from occasional vehicles to cross over and post the letter I had brought with me. I also noted the name of the coffee shop where I sat at a street table on my first morning-the Tassili.

Better still having reach the west side of Kings Cross here was a bay with three or four luggage trolleys on the street and I took one for £1 and saved a lot of puff for the rest of the way along the front of the station, crossing over the road and then down the side to the entrance to national and suburban St Pancras where I was the only approaching the left luggage at ten minutes past seven. I was asked to open the case when disclosing that it contained lap top to check that it was not on and there were not other electronics. I joked that I had taken the battery out of the clock for similar reasons.

It was time for coffee and pan au chocolat at Starbucks. I could not open the top of the coffee and a young Asian woman, part of party of other who looked younger came over to assist although for a moment I misunderstood my intentions and thought she had mistaken mine for hers. She was successful in opening but spilt hot coffee over her hand such was the force required to open for the sugar. I thanked her apologising for the spill.

Close by there were some comfy armchairs and I selected the last one with a table and settled to enjoy both. A young woman was reading from another armchair at another table, also on her own. Then a grey haired woman who I judged about sixty came and asked if she could use the table for her coffee having sat at a third armchair a little to the side. Her accent was American. At first I continued to finish the coffee which was very good- also an Americano. I could not resist saying to her are you from the United State. She apologised for her country I said it was one of the great nations of the world and like Britain it had its shortcomings. I was soon telling why this was a special day, a pilgrimage of a kind and she was enthralled with the story I told her. It was becoming a better day by the moment. The omens for the cricket were encouraging.

Then she told me part of her story. She was with a tour /family party from the USA, arriving midweek, I mentioned the weather forecast of an exceptional good day. She was visiting as a present from her son who logically would be around forty: she did not mention being with her own partner or the son with his family. They were scheduled to travel to Paris for a couple of days and then return for a few more days to England. It was a trip of a lifetime or should have been. The son had developed all the symptoms of what she was convinced was the Swine Flu. She had been in contact with the American Library who had advised to get a thermometer. The Boots chemist nearby was said to have a new supply in the morning. The opening hours were from seven but of course on a Saturday it was later eight. It was approaching eight. I was anxious about being in her presence and about her son and their holiday and the likelihood of being put in quarantine. I did not want to cause alarm but she appeared unaware of the sudden doubling of cases from 50000 to 100000 Mail on Saturday which had advertised £20 of vouchers at Tesco’s . When I returned the chemist had opened and she was at the counter explainer her predicament. I hoped she in good hands and I continued on day the edge having been removed, but only to a degree. It reminded that if the media was correct in up to 100000 households there was panic and severe anxiety.

I made my way out of the station crossing over the road to catch a bus to Baker Street station when I believed I would be able to catch a bus to Lords. I had to walk a little way to a road at right angles because of the one way system where there was choice of four or five buses although not the first as I joked with two other men who were on the same trail with over the shoulder bags of a substantial nature. One checked with the bus driver when the next arrived and he said it was about a five walk away. It was more than that although not more than ten at a good walking pace.

There are only a couple of shops in the area and the local tobacconist newsagents local store only had a couple of packets of sandwiches available although sandwiches were advertised. I bought I small carton of Pringles’ crisps and a Danish pastry.

I was once again at the home of cricket the most import cricket venue in the world agreed by every player from every country throughout the ages. The ground was ready for a full house, or almost. The gates were opened within seconds of arrival and a security steward looked into every compartment of my shoulder bag which I had to open and then a male steward did a body check by hand. The sun was out and it was a very fine morning with a live group playing by the nets which were adjacent to a large screen like Wimbledon and the food and drink area. I enjoyed a bacon and egg role with some Brown sauce and then had another coffee. One stall would be selling Veuve Cliquot champagne. Another was selling beer, Pimms and sane brand champagne for £35 a half bottle around £ 65 for bottle and over £100 for a magnum. There was a smaller stall selling rum.

Before going for second breakfast I had found a bench next to band and looked at the excellent value programme which cost £5. Given the cost of the ticket and accommodation this was going to be a £100 expenditure day.

Around ten am I made my way to allocated seat in the Grand Stand which sides on to the playing area. I missed the fact that there two lifts at either end of the stand and made by way up the stairs where at each level, there were three, a steward checked and placed a blue wrist band tight over my right hand on which was written Grand upper tier. I could put my ticket except to find my seat. The grant part is the price and that one has access to two bars and a restaurant, but not toilets on this day which were being kept for the hospitality boxes. The stewards, waiters and lift staff called everyone sir and well dressed and groomed. My seat was in the middle of a row between aisles and at the back. Next time I must ring rather than used the internet and ask about the location. It was bird’s eye view, not good. I would move if possible. Concern about the height viewing level was shared by others.

Sussex won the toss at 10.30 and elected to bat on what said to be a good wicket. The Hampshire captain admitted he would have dome the same. Those around me were divided between the two teams. I explained to one neighbour my neutrality as a Surrey man who became a Durham member who adopted Sussex along with Nottingham, was supporting Sussex although had sympathy for Hampshire who Durham had beaten two years ago and given Hampshire Members a bad day to remember.

The game was effectively over within the first hour as both Sussex openers were effective and the aging Dominic Cork brilliant taking the first three Sussex openers including England’s Pryor for 39, 30 30 and 39. When the fourth wicket fell at 43 and the fifth at 77 you knew it was already over and that the team managed to make 219 for 9 in the 50 overs was due to Captain Mike Yardy who made 92 and everyone gave him an outstanding ovation when he was eventually out.

Hampshire in contrast did lose their first wicket until their total was 93. They won by six wickets with over 9 overs to spare. It was one sided from almost the first ball and everyone except the most partisan of the Hampshire supporters had wanted an exciting and close game. It was not.

After the opening debacle I had waited another half an hour before going down to the toilet after discovering the lift and then queuing for a diet coke for close on twenty minutes as the bar men took their time as a matter of policy. Rather than return to my seat I notice one spare a couple rooms from the front on the aisle and checking it did not belong to someone who had popped out. It was a very different view still too far away for my liking but justifying the price. I only had the seat for half an hour when the tickets holder arrived causing a return of others to their seats. I found another a little way back and found myself among a party of about five men of mixed ages with lots of food and drink, whose language was inappropriate for a mixed and young audience. The view was great but the company awful. I felt sorry for those seats were around them and retreated back to my original seat for the last overs of the innings. I should have then taken my bag with me as I found there was a choice of seats at the back of the lower Compton Stand behind the bowlers arm. However here are two draw backs. The first is that one is more in the shade than the covered ground stand and on a different day it would have cold. I had such an experience at a test match there once before. The main draw back is that one cannot see the scoreboards and these days the two replay screens. To make up for this there is small notice board where the number of the batsmen is given in red lights plus their totals together with the overall total and wickets fallen. This service is OK but with a little investment it could be a lot better. I stayed there until the first drinks break of the second innings and collected by bad advising neighbours of where I was going and the availability of other seats.

The second advantage in addition to being able to watch cricket on a similar basis to that at Durham is that I had chosen the stand with Sussex supporters and I learned to sing, I am up to win the cup for Sussex by the sea. There were few opportunities to burst into the song though. With what was only five overs before the loss I needed a comfort break and found several hundred people sitting on the grass and watching the big screen. I decided I would not stay for the bus rush and made my way out of the ground when there was a few minute wait for a bus to Baker Street and then around the corner for a bus to the British Library and across to St Pancras where I would find a trolley after getting a ticket. As I let Lords I noted two black long legged young lasses in the briefest of hot pants one of whom insisted on handing me a card despite my saying I am too old for whatever it is. She said but you will be very welcome. It was a VIP entry pass to the Spearmint Rhino Gentleman’s Club in Tottenham Court Road. I knew just the group who would be interested.

Then Disaster. There were no trains to London Bridge weekends from St Pancras and the stated bus service was not operating. I could go by Tube which involved a long passage way and stairs or catch an ordinary bus from outside of Kings Cross. I found a trolled but decided to invest in a taxi as I crossed over the road between the mainline stations. I guessed that the roads to and through the city would be quieter than across the West End to Victoria. This proved to be so and the basic fare was £13.60 plus tip. There was a choice of trains for East Croydon and I decided on a drank and made the only bad decision of the trip. I selected a diet cherry flavoured coke by mistake. It was vile. After arriving at the Travel and adjusting to my room I went out to McDonalds around the corner for a McChicken meal and a diet coke unflavoured by the cherry. My room is set aside for someone in a wheel chair. It has three windows each with control to open and open and close the curtains. There is room for a married couple and half a dozen children such is the space about three times the size of a normal room. I loved the walk in shower with flip down stool.

I have enjoyed listening to Duffy’s Rock ferry Album twice. Last night while writing I enjoyed Dire Straits, Acker Bilk and Chris Barber.

I did it Mabel rest in peace. Pity about the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment