Tuesday 6 July 2010

1446 Durham fail at the Rosebowl

I have experienced several great days of major live sporting disappointment, usually when the anticipation has built up over a period of weeks, months and in a few instances years. The first is a memory which I usually repeat when I meet someone new at cricket. In 1948, I think, I was taken by a cousin on a bus to the Oval cricket ground for England's 5th and final test match against Australia and after queuing for several hours we were allowed into the ground to sit on the grass between the usual boundary fencing and the boundary rope set for the match. This was to be the last Test match played in England of Donald Bradman, later Sir Donald. We all stood up a cheered as he made his way to the wicket and a few seconds later we cheered him all the way back as he was out second ball bowled by Eric Hollis. I thought it was the first. Ray Lindwall, Lindsay Hassett and Keith Miller were other Aussi big guns, of course. Leonard Hutton whose book he autographed for me several years later, Denis Compton and John Edrich with Alec Bedser were British Guns.. FR Brown captain?

It was a few years before I would make my own way to the Oval to watch Surrey play, and Peter May, the Bedser twins, and Locke and Laker but I did watch one day at a Test match at Lords when still at school with Aunty Harriet, my care mother, having acquired a ticket through someone she knew.

Since then I have attended Test Matches at many other grounds Headingley, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston, Old Trafford and the Riverside, but apart from Botham's Test and Petersen and Flintoff in more recent times, the memories are very hazy. I hope I will retain vivid memories of the Rose Bowl until my dying day although there is the major disappointment of Durham failing to perform, of surrendering meekly to the opposition. However it was a glorious day of summer and there were several highlights.

I awoke before the alarm, just as well as it only went off in the evening, something I only confirmed the following evening, continuing for nearly a hour so I assume no one was in the next rooms or the sound proofing is better than usual. I went down and sorted the car around 7.30 buying a bottle of water at the garage opposite and filling one flask, finishing off the bottle. There were two prices for still water in the chill cabinet, 70p and 99p. The assistant said 70p and then after a couple of sentences asking how to get to the A3 for the M 27, I was given only 10p change. I helped myself to the free Newspaper from the tied pile on the step outside in Inn doors with the intention of reading at an outside table in the early morning sunshine but a staff member opened a side door, I had checked that the main entrance door was locked and I therefore enquired if breakfast was available. It was a quarter to eight. And I was advised I could have entered earlier as the staff member had been on duty from 6.30 am. I enjoyed a bowl of grapefruit segments, a fruit juiced, two croissants and a cup of coffee. I wrapped a Danish Pastry in a napkin for later. For the day ahead I had also prepared a flask of coffee and from home, the salad in a sealed container and sandwiches wrapped in foil, a mistake and the a container. The strawberries in the shop carton, large juicy ones but in a firm condition. A weather top for the evening cold and possible rain storm and the small umbrella as I assumed the stadium had been built and I would be sitting under cover, although I nought to have realised the implication that the video was shown under the development section with reference to submitting the plans to the local authority in 2006. I was quickly to discover that it had not been built!

I asked the staff member for the directions and he advised to follow the sign A3 London as it would also show a sign to Portsmouth. AS soon as I was on my way I recognised the same road that I had travelled the previous evening and realised that I gone past the neat the Inn, continuing into Havant and then circling back. Alas I would make the mistake again on the return journey because I did not know that the road would be marked Leigh Park rather than Rowland's Castle. I also forgot to note the name of the junction I needed to take on the return journey Waterlooville, that's my name with recognition given to the Ting Tings, that's my name.
The first surprise was to appreciate the views over the Solent as I reached the junction between the A 3 and the M27. I then had problem reaching junction number 8 and following the signs to Park and ride which led to a large field marked so that vehicles could line up. There was only one line where I was something like car thirty having arrived within half an hour of the centre opening. This was to prove a great significance some thirteen hours later.

I was therefore on the first bus to the ground, a journey of more than the forecast ten minutes, I would say fifteen to twenty but I did not check. At the ground I was given a thorough body check as well as the bag unpacked and every item checked, something which does happen elsewhere. It was reassuring although odd. I then had my surprise as the video of the ground is just that a video ground. A plan of more hope than reality.

The Rose bowl has a fixed inner area of continuous terrace seating and then an upper tier which has been added and with everyone entering the stadium at the second level promenade which as at Sunderland Football club leads to major congestion. There is an attractive Member's Pavilion similar to the new stand at Lords but not as effective and smaller versions for the large hospitality area with first level seating below which remained sparsely filled as many appeared to arrive later or remain at the table serving food and drink. The toilet facilities for the rest of us were diabolical and a scandal for the Test board and English cricket and I will write to Test board accordingly. With a 20000 capacity this is about making money although in fairness I thought the adult ticket of £48 plus £1 booking fee reasonable, especially as children and young people under sixteen could attend for £11, although this would be a very long day for the very young. It was still and occasion for young men drinking excessively and old men wishing they still could but there was a good showing of females and middle aged.

I ought to be used to the prices from the concession with surrounded the perimeter of the ground inside the stadium. £2 for a soft drink £3.50 for a small carton of chips and three fifty for cider four pounds a pint with the drinkers consuming between ten and twenty pints each on the day and with repercussions for a group of Essex supporters behind me. But first the cricket.

The opening semi final between Kent and Essex lived up to expectations except for the absence of sixes. There was a fast outfield and therefore batsmen using the advantage of restricted fielding outside the marked area could reach the boundary with strong and well place shots without the risk of the skied miss hit. The match was a close one with Essex never looking as if they would reach the Kent total after Napier was out early and Shaun Udal and Murali Kartick, spinner restricted scoring in what was a pitch taking spin not usually associated with 20 20 games. This was ominous because Durham lacked world class spin and it was evident that the pacemen could be hit hard at the beginning of the innings and at the end. Early on it was evident that we had a vociferous group of young Essex supporters behind us and as the quantity of alcohol increased their behaviour more loutish. I was befriended by an exiled northerner from Consett who had obtained a social work qualification at Hull after undertaking further education having been a trade union official at the steel works. He had lived in the New Forest area for over two decades working for Probation and Prison Service. His brother a Durham Member had got him the ticket. There was also a young man with whom I had a chat later and who I hope to see at Nottingham. He had come down with a party, perhaps official travel club members staying at a hotel at Heathrow and we had similar views about the ground and merchandising as well as on the Durham Performance.

The less said about the Durham Performance the better in the second semi final. We won the toss and elected to bat such was the confidence and De Venuto was caught early for 0 giving the worse possible start, Mustard quickly followed and although Chandrapaul scored runs with Collingwood and Smith they struggled against the spin that a total of 140 appeared the best possible, inadequate at this level of competition. Pollock did well and Liam Plunkett who came in ahead of Blenkenstein did not have the time to get going. It was a damp squib of a performance, frankly pathetic and it was not surprising that our bowlers were then humiliated. First as after a solid start we were blitzed by. all rounder Tyrone Henderson and Middlesex won the game with ease and Durham departed immediately to their hotel where it would be interesting to learn if they watched the final on TV.

The lighting for the final was the only exceptional aspect of the ground for with six masts compared with the usual four it was possible create a day time effect with ground and crowd brightly illuminated.

Middlesex posted what proved to be a match winning score and although Henderson again scored valuable runs it was Shah to banged away 75 and had he not lost his wicket a score of 200 plus appeared possible, However Kent were not to give up the title easily and hey need three runs of the last ball, but failed. Captain Key produced a solid start with 90 runs on the board before three wickets fell quickly and then there was a stand for 70 which appeared to turn the match.

I felt there was a gulf between Durham and the other three sides but it will have been great experience and hopefully not demoralising as what has happened to Yorkshire.

I must now turn to the issue of drink. On one hand it is up to each adult to drink responsibly and certainly the prices do nothing to encourage excess. The group of young men with one or two young women who were sitting with them or became associated with them for a time as the day progressed drew attention and alienated themselves from the surrounding crowd by the extent of their shouting and the insistence of climbing over seats in order to buy drinks and visit the toilet. There was great delight when Essex lost because it was hoped that the group would depart although I already knew this was not the position because as they had travelled by coach which would only leave at the end of the Final. This took some interest in the second semi final and final, but they passed the time by further drinking. There were notices around the ground which indicated that even the stacking of plastic glasses was an offence. There were three levels of stewarding inside the ground and I only saw a police presence once towards the evening as if t remind that they were there to be called upon if needed. The first level of stewarding had been recruited for the day with the role of helping people to their seats although being new to the ground and possibly to the situation they were given ground charts and appeared to be just as unsure of the situation as the visiting supporters. They were removed from the main circulation level within the stadium when the game commenced to the entrance passages otherwise they would have obscured views. Then there was a second team whose function was clear litter where this was possible. I assume this was to avoid having to do so at the end of the game or the following day but there was also the purpose of preventing the accumulation of material which could be used to throw above and on to the other sections of the crowd. The third group were the green tam designed to watch behaviour and deal with any situation, They functioned as individuals until a situation built up when they acted in number as a organised group, linked with communications including small head level cameras which recorded conversations and actions and which were relayed to the central control point. At what point the young men came under supervision I have no idea but there was a conversation developed about accumulating the plastic glasses to create a stack with a view to be thrown out of the ground. One encouraged another to do this. This talk continued over a period of time but then a male member of the green team approach advised the man collecting the plastic glasses of the regulations, asked him to surrender what he had, warned it could lead to expulsion and when he started to pretend he was no misbehaving and he was given a formal and what was evident to me final warning. When his behaviour continued a senior female member of the team approach and advised more than warned that he had had a good day and not to spoilt the situation for himself and for others. I thought everyone was leaning over backwards to avoid having to act. The final straw came when he left his seat, crossed the main circulation area and collected three or four stacked glasses from under a nearby seat. Shortly afterwards four members of the Green team arrived and asked him to accompany them for a talk outside. It was evident he was quietly being removed, would be taken to a holding area for assessment and possible arrested as being drunk and disorderly. His particulars would be noted and kept by the Test Board his home county and possibly other counties so that if he requested membership or tickets he would refused. His companions who at first considered the whole matter to be amusing then became serious and hostile to officialdom. I had noted that when confronted the young man in question lied about his intentions.

It was evident that leaving the ground and car parks would take several hours unless one left early. Although the outcome of the final was uncertain I decided to leave five overs before the conclusion as I was able to listen to the Sky TV commentary over the radio head set ear piece purchased for £10. I believe these can be used at any ground where Sky is broadcasting a live game, but not otherwise. I was directed the long way round a prepared and market route to where a fleet of buses was waiting bin convoy to take to Park and ride. Another fleet was waiting to take to the other motorway junction site. The vehicle did not leave until it was full which was just as the final over drama was being played. It was the first bus to arrive at the site and there I was in a dark field with several thousand cars. My problem was that although I had been in the first row, other cars had created new rows on both sides and for a moment I had visions of spending hours searching for an unfamiliar vehicle although I the written registration number on a card with me. I decided to back my belief as ton what constituted the first row and went along counting cars and there it was. Getting away to the M27 going East was therefore no problem as well as getting on to the A3 motorway. I decided to come off at the exit after Waterlooville which was the correct thing to do but because there was no sign Havant or Rowlands Castle, I came back over the other side of the motorway and repeated what I had done the previous evening at the Waterlooville junction exit roadways. It was around 11.30 tired but cricket overdosed. Wrapping the sandwiches in tin foil was a mistake and they had to be thrown away but in general I got the food right but should have doubled the water ration at the expense of the coffee.. I had a midnight snack of a soup in a cup with boiling water over the contents of a sachet and then a pot pasta with boiling water over the prepared contents of a small pot, There was also a Danish from reserves.

It had been a great once in a life time experience, not to be repeated unless Durham get to the same position again in my lifetime or my financial position changes and I would try the hospitality route which I would like to do for other sports and events, once. I hope Durham will learn the lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment