Tuesday 6 July 2010

Durham draw at Trent Bridge 2008

As I sat my room at the Trowel Service area on the M1 on Thursday evening I considered returning home a day early, as the weather forecast for the following day was for showers, some strong. I felt a third day at cricket was unlikely to add to my experience of the past week and I was in the mood for city exploration or to go to the pictures. And yet part of me was not ready to return to the life I had been leading although I was not unsettled or disturbed by being away, remembering my discontent during and following previous holidays especially that of 1991. I had food for lunch or evening with the second pasta and fruit salads, and I had bought four rolls and had some salami left from that purchased at Havant. I decided. I would go to the cricket. I made some coffee to take but had no water and decided that I would buy some if required from the well placed coop mini store discovered just across the road from the ticket office to the cricket ground. I needed some more skimmed milk which I would call in for on the way home. I arrived early, knowing the route and deciding to set off once I had made the decision, even if it was to watch Hampshire bat for the greater part of the day

I sat on my own in the same area as on Wednesday. During the morning I was joined by a gentleman from Mansfield who greeted me remembering my presence from the previous visit, who explained that his arrival was delayed because of unexpected visitors. He said that he had woken during the night to a tremendous rain storm and that according to the morning news there had been a thunderbolt strike on houses at Ilkeston with fire engines having to be called out. In fact there was no rain during the day and the sun came out and by early evening I had to move to another part of the ground to escape its intensity. This was at the foot of the latest stand by the new scoreboard building on the second row from ground level and provided an excellent view enabling one to feel part of the game as a boundary fielder. Pity about the exposure to the full sun during the day as this would be an ideal point to view the game in future, close to the entrance, member's pavilion and other facilities.

It was just as well that I felt relaxed, content and sleepy and I am sure that I dozed off more than once especially after Nottinghamshire were all out for two runs more than Durham Several years ago Notts had released batsman Shafayat to a neighbouring county but they had brought him back after which he had rewarded with a succession for first class performances. Today he never looked like being out until he scored his 100 and then through a moment's loss of concentration he was caught behind by the wicked keeper off the bowling of Plunkett.

As with the Durham innings, because of good bowling the run rate was restricted to an average of three an over compared with five to six in one day games and eight to ten in the 20 20. Nottinghamshire were 199 for eight at one point losing four wickets four twenty runs and my companion from Mansfield warned that this was normal and the side would be lucky to reach 200. They went on to 268, two runs more than Durham through a stand of 69 runs and he commented on being wrong and I reminded that we would have become millionaires if we were good at forecasting to which others nearby agreed. I felt that unless Durham scored freely and quickly the game was set on an honourable draw which each side having achieved five bonus point and another four for the draw, The differential between Durham and Notts at the top would be retained but with Durham having a game in hand. It would remain all to play for. There is no outstanding side this season and everyone attempts to quickly adjust to the 20 20 game and the money involved, and to the World Championships and new competitions. At lunch time I visited the cooperative mini market for some water, an ice cream and the Notts evening paper. Back at the stadium I was joined by another gentleman during the afternoon of about my age, possibly older from what he later said. When after discussing the game and the prospects of a result I mentioned that I lived close to the River Tyne he told me of his daughter his daughter who also had a home a home near the river and an office that overlooked in the centre of the city of Newcastle. He then mentioned the name and occupation of his son in law and amazingly it was someone who I had known during my managerial life, now approaching twenty years ago. It once again demonstrated what a small world it is. It was a delightful conversation, the second of the day and I reflected what nice people attend cricket at this level and regretted that I had stopped my travels to other grounds for championship games. It was just as well the company was so convivial as the cricket became exceptionally slow as Durham decided on a stalemate draw scoring 72 runs in 48 overs that is precisely one and a half run an over and a far cry from then eight and nine scored during 20 20 final days with Durham the slowest at seven runs. Clearly Durham feared a loss and not a win, However I was not discontented and the play matched my mood. I called in for the milk on the way to the car and filled up with petrol before journeying back to the lodge where the relaxed mood continued and I decided against packing or writing and watched a little TV commencing with the day at the Test Match. Peterson had done well and then thrown away his wicket just before reaching 100 to the spectacular annoyance of Geoffrey Boycott and it was then Paul Collingwood who everyone agreed and played a courageous innings as he struggled to regain his form as a batsman. He had turned from booed villain to hero with his fifty and then his one hundred greeted with wild enthusiasm. There was the prospect of saving and even winning the game if he continued to bat well with the support of partners the following morning. I watched the Big Brother eviction programme with its lack of people to care about and hope for this season. It would not be a memorable day except for being the last day of a good holiday away from what my normal existence. I had not watched a film for a week or played chess or Hearts. I hoped my home was alright and the plants had not withered through lack of water. I was expecting some deliveries which might have been taken in by neighbours for a change as I usually took things in for them, or kept at the post office or held at the delivery service local office. I was not looking forward to the travelling even though I was on the motorway and the distance would be around 150 miles. Two and half hours drive. I was too relaxed for a hard drive, starting early and knew that with packing first I would stop for food, feel tired and have need of a long break and therefore that the journey would take until the afternoon, following by the unpacking. But I went to bed as soon as I felt tired and to sleep in a mood of contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment